Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER (1984)

Back in the 90s, my mind was just seeking to be warped. I had always gazed over the selection of Jason films at various video stores, but as a kid, I had only seen the sixth. And that was cut up far worse than any of Jason's victims, thanks to FOX. Anyway, finally in May 2001, my time had come. Searching through the schedule on my dad's new digital TV, I found that TMN was airing Friday the 13th's part 4-6! This would truly be a night to remember, a night I can always look back on. A night that will be impossible to forget.

Plot: Kids go to Crystal Lake and get murdered one by one. Last girl Trish, and this time, little brother Corey Feldman, manage to outdo the film's running time. But this one has something else to it: CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! Yes, the teens served up for slaughter are much more interesting than the characters in Part 3. Much of this is due to Crispin Glover of Back To The Future fame, who brings his own back of tricks on set and is the victim in one of my favourite F13 deaths. We have Sarah, a girl debating with herself whether or not to lose the big V, Rob, a camper out to avenge the death of his sister (Sandra, from Part 2), and a couple of British twins!



This movie outdoes all other entries in terms of nudity (until part 5 anyway), which, somehow, makes 80s slasher films even better. Several pairs of tits, and plenty of bare ass. In terms of kills, it has some of my faves. Who can forget the corkscrew? Or the hacksaw in the hospital? Rob's almost terrifying scream "he's killing me!" as trish cowers on the stairs? How about Jason's demise? Easily my favourite of the series. I would go on about how this is the beginning of a significant character, Tommy Jarvis, but I believe his character is more important in the next two films.

Curiously, director Joseph Zito wanted the camera, and thus the film, to linger over the dead Jason at the beginning, in order for the audience to root for him to come back to life. Interesting concept, but I doubt it worked. Jason had not yet become the cultural icon he is today.

It's hard to review these movies without sounding like a broken record, which is why I take the unique (or so at least I feel) elements from the film to combine for my post. But with more nudity, interesting characters, memorable kills, and Ted White as the best JASON ever, part 4 is, if not technically the best, at least the most enjoyable film of the franchise for me. I couldn't get tired of it. 80s exploitation slasher at it's finest. FOUR STARS OUT OF FIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment