Saturday, November 27, 2010

THE GORGON (1964)

Over the past little while, I've become quite a Hammer Hound. Seeing a Hammer Film can be, in many ways, like seeing an updated Universal film, though thankfully without the intrusion of CGI. Now, I've still barely scraped the surface with the Hammer films I have seen but this has to be one of my favourites thus far......


The Gorgon is a Hammer film yes but not in the more traditionally known sense. For example, Hammer is mostly known for it's Dracula and Frankenstein pictures. This little horror tale however, has it's roots not in 1800's literature but in Greek mythology. Yes, a film about a Medusa. Or to be more accurate, about the spirit of a Medusa posessing the body of a young, beautiful woman in the German countryside. It's done with typical Hammer attention to period detail which is always nice and the atmosphere generated from the location shooting and that 60's Hammer picture quality is quite incredible. As well done as Hammer's Dracula films may be, this one contains far more cinematic appeal, for me anyways......

The Gorgon may not be for everyone however, as it's fairly slow paced and probably not for the more sophisticated remake-veteran audiences of today. I can't say a whole lot about it other than that I reccomend it, especially to one being new to Hammer. FOUR STARS OUT OF FIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment