Monday, September 13, 2010

FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)


Let it be known this review was chosen for now because it is fresh in my mind. I'd love to give all the F13 movies the COTF treatment eventually so this will get that ball rolling. There is so much I can say about this film, so I'll try to point out what is important and also about how this technically mediocre film is held in such high regard among the horror community. Technically of course, doesn't always apply. The fact that I'd watch this any time rather than the Oscar-winning Shakespeare In Love says something about what this film means.

By now we know the story. Kids go to camp, smoke up, have sex, wander off by themselves and generally make other stupid decisions that permit their demise. Some people will cite Psycho or Black Christmas and sometimes Halloween as the film that established the slasher genre. While they all predate Friday the 13th, it is easy to forget what this film established: The rules of the slasher film. Have sex? You die. Light up that dube? Don't even think about it. Wander off to do whatever unaccompanied? You're so fucking dead. F13 presented this pattern perhaps more clearly than any predecessor.

To give a general summary of what happens in this film, is rather pointless. The slasher movie has it's clear, distinct promises. Usually a bloody knife on the poster let's us know exactly what we're in for. What I can summarize is the creativity of the kills (for the most part) and the subtle touch of all ominous music following the killer, not allowing the false alarms any music. Many slasher movies are guilty of building up the fake scares, giving them music, usually a sign of desperation for the writer. Here we have a few but wisely, there is no music. I suppose ominous music played during Crazy Ralph's visit scene, but only to suggest he MIGHT be the killer. Speaking of him, he is the Slasher genre's first soothsayer, the original prophet of doom. RIP Walt Gorney.

The film made about 70 times what it cost to make. With a profit like that, Paramount had an idea: Franchise. Jason's brief appearance at the end was meant as nothing more than a joke to the writers, but he was easily capable of taking up his mother's hobby for the endless sequels. Thank god for that. It remains the highest grossing F13 film, taking in overall number of tickets sold. Nobody thought this was ever possible, not least of which Betsy Palmer, who played Pamela Voorhees. Palmer, needed a new car. She read the script and said "what a piece of shit! No one will see this thing, it will come, it will go...." so she accepted the role, unafraid it would ruin her friendly public image. F13 is easily what she will most be remembered for, and she has since embraced her contribution to the franchise. Siskel and Ebert famously spent an entire show trashing the film and urging angry parents to write letters to Betsy Palmer, detailing their disgust. Sadly, I don't think Ebert has revisited these movies yet, but he should.

Almost no one will say this is the best film of the franchise. Personally after watching these films many times over the last decade, I am still unsure. But it contends. Getting into the F13 movies almost changed my life in a way. Around the time I did, I became exposed to the horror genre more and more. One thing led to another, and continues to this day. The film has a 70's feel no matter what they say but these early 80's slasher films have a distinct charm to them, almost unexplainable. The sequel has the same feel. The film established the campground as a normal hacking site and has that atmosphere that no amount of money can buy. Greatly flawed, technically not spectacular, somehow it's what we want in a film. It just appeals to so many people on so many levels and I'll never forget the joy of being a worry-free 13 year old spending the summer of 2001 enjoying this and it's sequels. Imperative to see at a young age. FOUR STARS OUT OF FIVE.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, man! I enjoyed this review more than any so far.
    "You're so fucking dead." LOL Yes!!
    Good observation on the fake-out scares.
    I haven't seen all of the Fridays yet, but I can say so far this is actually the best of the franchise.
    And wait, 13 in 2001? Did I already know you're 2 years younger than me? It's possible. I seem to have forgotten everything else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, I wasn't sure where I was trying to go when writing this review.... Glad it turned out ok though...

    You may be right about it being the best though. I think it's tied with 2 and 4.

    I turned 14 in LATE 2001. I think I'm about a year and a half younger if May 86 did indeed introduce you to the world as I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, 1 year younger. That makes sense.

    ReplyDelete